Since the nineties various measures to combat money laundering and terrorism financing have been taken at European level.
The most important achievements are listed below.
- Various directives combating money laundering and terrorist financing were adopted. The most recent one is the fourth directive (Directive (EU) 2015/849 of 20 May 2015),
- a Committee on the Prevention of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing (EGMLTF) was created, in which the Treasury, CTIF-CFI and NBB actively participate, to examine the technical implementing measures of Directive (EU) 2015/849,
- a discussion forum for financial intelligence units was created, the “Financial Intelligence Units platform”. This forum discusses various aspects such as technical aspects for transposing the fourth directive, harmonizing of the approach of financial intelligence units, data protection and confidentiality, harmonization of databases, content of disclosures, disclosures of cash and cooperation between FIUs at European level,
- a secure computer network, called the FIU.net, was set up to exchange information between Member State FIUs,
- every two years publishes the European Commission a Supranational ML/TF Risk Assessment (SNRA).